lunes, 1 de diciembre de 2008

La Accion de Gracias

Celebrating Thanksgiving in Bollullos was a trip! One of the couples whose daughters I tutor was hosting a couple from the United States because their companies work together. Combining their enthusiasm for Thanksgiving with the fact that there are eight other Americans, and an enthusiastic young woman from Ireland, teaching here in Bollullos I asked my tutees mom if we could take over her kitchen for two nights to make Thanksgiving dinner. It turned out really well, with everyone bringing a dish, chicken substituting for turkey, wine from one of the Bollullos bodegas, and a pumpkin pie made entirely from scratch.

I got a little choked up when we went around and said what we were all thankful for, since mine involved not having to cook all of the side dishes alone, not that I mind doing it when I'm home, but it was interesting to see what other people eat for turkey day.

I insisted on a trip to the florist shop for an extra gift to the mom of the family, since it wasn;t enough that we were jsut cooking for her, and I'm glad I did. She gave me an extra strong hug when she saw them and went into girly-surprised-flattered mode.

At the end of the night, we all walked home having made some new memories, and slightly less tired than we might have been without the turkey, cranberry sauce and accompanying football game, but happy nonetheless to have spent the evening pretending we were at home. The next day, I left for Huelva to spend the weekend with friends and ended up watching a basketball game of Huelva Recreativo, which ranks kiiiind of low on the basketball totem pole, but it was entertaining nonetheless.

No hay comentarios: