lunes, 8 de diciembre de 2008

The Traveling Diaspora

I think I'm obsessed with the Diaspora, but whatever! I may not see it everyday, but when I do I feel closer than ever. Must be the proximity to The Continent.

So, here in Spain, at least in Southern Spain - that Andaluz - there's a tradition that's existed for about two hundred years of burning gamonitas every 7th day of December, the day before the Dia de la Inmaculada. According to my rough spoken Bollullo sources, the tradition started a couple hundred years ago when there was an outbreak of tuberculosis, or el peste, and the people had to burn everything that had or might have been contaminated by the enfermedad. Since then, the costumbre has continued, although with slight variations, namely the burning of gamonitas instead of bodies, clothes, etc. As they burn the long twig-like gamonitas, people sing "gamonita, ita, ita!" and raise the bundle of sticks into the air. Apparently, you're also supposed to make a wish while doing this.

I had a chance to burn not one, but at least three bundles of gamonitas last night - the first of which I burned after a performance by a Ugandan dance group at the Casa de la Cultura. Again, you can imagine my elation at seeing mi gente, and how it tripled after the show when I got to talk to three of the dancer/singers, fluent in English, who are studying at the University, Mekelele, when they're not touring with the group.

I've decided that perhaps the burning of the gamonitas came at a symbolic time. Burning signifying renewal and all. With the crisis hitting home suddenly and muy fuerte in the last couple of days, and other peripecias of Bollullos coming to a head, it seemed like a great time to throw everything que no me cae bien into the fire. And I did. I felt a big relief, although I don't think it solved everything I would've liked it to.

On some level, it was a renewal for me, and my outlook on life in Spain. I'm glad that I'm repeatedly and randomly bombarded by the diaspora, which makes me exceedingly happy every time I see it. I also know that while I grow here and make wishes on gamonitas, I have to stay more connected to the conditions at home, and not forget my sense of individual agency, which will ultimately bring me more power than gamonitas alone.

1 comentario:

Unknown dijo...

Agency is the key to everything, I've found. It's the choices that we make (and the freedom that we have to make them) that determine our overall well-being.

Sorry it's taken me so long to visit, but I'm lovin the blog...love you, too! MWAH