sábado, 25 de abril de 2009

Autostop in Mazagon

... i.e. hitch-hiking. That's what I was up to today with my Huelva BFFs. Intentamos ir a Mazagon, y estuvimos alli, pero despues de tres horas of getting straight winded by one enduring pero super strong viento(and I am NOT one to endure strong winds. I can't stand them, and to have sand blowing into my hair... thank goodness for laughs, chips, and candy, or I might not have made it...), we gave up and hiked up the hill. Back to the bus stop. Where we proceeded to wait. For over an hour. In hopes that the 4pm, 4:45pm, and then 6pm bus back to Huelva would arrive.
Unfortunately, we don't know Mazagon like other cities so close to our hearts, so it would have been a real effort to walk all the way to el centro and then actually locate the bus stop. At around 5pm, we realized we had a better chance of hitch-hiking back to Huelva.

After walking about five minutes, unsuccessfully trying to flag down a car (although we saw several who gave us double takes, but false hopes because nadie giro la vuelta) Ngoc, decided to draw a sign on miniature graph paper, que dijo:

HUELVA, porfa!

And literally about two minutes later, a hot rod ride pulled over - ok, not that hot, but if you could've felt the winds we were up against... - and I got flashbacks to Vivica Fox flagging down assistance like a damsel in distress in Two Can Play That Game after punching holes into her tires. Alvaro, our knight, was on his way to a wedding, but pulled over without too much persuasion. (So, I really can't say there's no nice people in the world because we would've still been in Mazagon... In fact thank goodness he did pull over. What started as a joke to get home turned into an adventure. And now I'm just wondering if the couple waiting for their bus ever made it to their destination? Or maybe they slept in the under-construction building behind the bus stop where I told my BFFs we might have to camp out for the night if Damas didn't show up.)

I was only in Huelva for about 24 hours this fin de semana, but me and the chicas managed to have more adventures than just the autostop. On Friday, we played with new friends in a park for ages 4 and up, and realized Ngoc is straight-up wifey material; from being a kid-lover to making dinner, dessert, and threatening to put us all to shame with a gold sequened dress that has thus far stayed in the closet. Meanwhile, the competitive streak of La Rubia came out as Ally tried to teach me how to play card games by cheating. I'm still confused about the stairs game, and the other one we played, although I've won several times. In all honesty, I think Ngoc's 4 yeard old novio will catch on faster. I like strategy card games, and I haven't figured out how to do that yet with Golf and Mentiras. Seriously, my degrees do not attest to my card playing skills. I'm strictly academic... lol;) All right, well, that was a joke. But anyhow... back to Bollullos, where there's currently a street fair celebrating Dia del Libro, the birthday or the day that Cervantes passed away. Not sure which one, but the point is Bollullos celebrates it all, and I partake. Hasta ahora!

No hay comentarios: